And proud of it!
There was a queer-y (please, don't hurt me!) at Pam's House Blend about what readers' first experience in a gay bar was like. I hope no-one found it offensive that I, a straight woman, answered the question. But I have such fond memories that I really wanted to share them.
I at one time actually had a social life and had several gay male friends. The first time I went to a gay bar with one of these friends, I found it so refreshing and great fun. The guys all knew I was an ally and I didn't have any boozed-up louts hitting on me and grabbing my ass. Straight dudes could learn a thing or two from gay guys about how to treat women. One thing that was amusing was because there were so few women in the place, and it was packed, the guys were also using the ladies' room. I accidentally walked into a stall on a couple of guys and immediately said "oh, I beg your pardon!"
"Don't worry about it, Honey," one of them said. "But let me give you fair warning. Do NOT sit on the seats. You know why?"
"Because guys are pigs!" his partner chimed in.
The bathroom was rather a mess but I have never felt more at home. It distressed me to find out that the parking lot tended to be a target for gay bashers. These fun-loving guys were just looking for a good time among friends. They should never have had to endure that.
I've never been to a lesbian bar. I wouldn't mind going except I tend to become uncomfortable being hit on by people of either sex. I'm very shy and don't tend to handle it well. I end up looking awkward. I didn't have to worry about that at the gay guys' bar!

0 comments:
Post a Comment